In 2010, Freya and Marcus Pomeroy-Rowden decided to build an English version of a three masted lugger, something that hadn’t been done in 200 years. The well respected boat builder, Chris Rees, brought the plans of the 1776 Revenue Lugger Grayhound to the table, and also agreed to take on the design and head the build.
In December 2010 Marcus started to fell oak trees from his mum’s fields. Fairlie Restorations fed Chris Rees’ plans into their computer and produced the structural assessments, stability information and framing patterns.
April 2011 tonnes of wood delivered and processed in Chris Rees’ yard in Millbrook. By August the boat was in piles, like a massive jigsaw puzzle, ready to be constructed in Shed 1 at Voyager Boatyard in Millbrook.
Six full time shipwrights gathered, including Marcus and an apprentice from the village. The Grayhound quickly took shape, she had a keel laying party where a lot of people came to celebrate her conception and toast the newly laid keel and frames. Planking started in September 2011 and ended in February 2012. The planking was fastened with wooden pegs known as treenails, trenails or trunnels. For generations shipbuilding used treenails as a standard way to bind the boat together, now its a method that is long out of fashion but using them have huge advantages. The life expectancy for treenail fastenings is therefore about 80 – 100 years, as opposed to metal fastenings, lasting 25 years.
The work continued from april all the way through the spring and summer with deck work, masts, rigging and more…
The Grayhound was lounged at Voyager Boatyard on 4th August, 2012 and was completed the following year.
The Grayhound´s Sponsorship scheme involved over 4000 people. Their names and messages are written on Treenails inside the Grayhound. The shipwrights that built the Grayhound were Demetri Wetzel, Marcus O’Dee, Peter Steele, Richard Burke, Russell Ferriday , Matthew Stevens and Sam Carne.